Interested in using BtP as an educational tool in your classroom?
Beyond the Purchase allows students to take a variety of peer-reviewed surveys focusing on personality, values, spending habits, and well-being. After students complete any survey, BtP provides detailed background information on these scales as well as personalized feedback. Once a survey is completed, students can view their results as compared to others that have taken the survey. These features make BtP a practical and enjoyable tool when teaching about psychology, happiness, or statistics.
To help you use BtP in your classroom, we’ve created a few handouts detailing how to use BtP as well as providing background information for some of our most popular surveys! All handouts have been provided in PDF format, and can easily be downloaded and handed out to your students, or uploaded to your class’s online forum. For example:
Are you lecturing on the Big Five personality traits? When you download this PDF (Learning about the Big Five personality traits using Beyond the Purchase) you will find a handout that we have created that provides a brief description of the Big Five personality traits, guides your students through our registration process, and instructs them on how to learn about their Big Five personality traits using Beyond the Purchase.
Media & Mentions
• Beyond the Purchase introduces "Consumer Behavior Collective" A digital journal featuring the latest topics.
• Like us on Facebook!
• Join our Twitter feeds!
• Desert News National, July 19, 2014. "What would Jesus buy?" (Read)
• Iowa Public Radio, July 9, 2014. "Money, Canoes or Oral Hygiene: Finding the Key to Happiness" (Read)
• SoundMedicine.org, June 20, 2014. "Happiness Stems From Purchasing Life Experiences—Not Material Items" (Read)
• Business Insider Australia, February 17, 2014. "Find Out Why That Upmarket Suburb You Aspire To Will Make You Poorer" (Read)
• Dailymail.co.uk, February 14, 2014. "Living in a nice area makes you more materialistic" (Read)
• Everydayhealth.com, February 6, 2014. "5 Apps That Make You Happy" (Read)
• Businessinsider.com, September 3, 2013. "Here's How Paying Off Debt Improves Your Happiness" (Read)
• The Sacramento Bee, June 9, 2013. "Personal Finance: How money buys happiness. It's an age-old question: Can money truly buy us happiness?" (Read)
• MoneyShow.com, February 21, 2013. "BeyondThePurchase.org Reports the Top 5 Reasons Spending Less Will Make you Happier"(Read)
• Fox Business, January 17, 2013. "When You Can (and Can't) Buy Happiness"(Read)
• The Sacramento Bee, January 4, 2013. "BeyondThePurchase.org Finds that Perception of Time Affects Financial Behavior."(Read)
• The New York Times, April 4, 2012. "I Buy, Therefore I Am (Unless I Return It)."(Read)
• The MinnPost, February 7, 2012. "Why 'Experience' Shoppers are Happier"(Read)
• Mail Online, January 27, 2012. "Rise of the 'Experience' Shopper: Happiness is What You Do, Not What You Buy"(Read)
• Science Daily, January 26, 2012. "Are You a Happy Shopper? Research Website Help You Find Out"(Read)
• Psych Central, January 27, 2012. "Buying New Experiences, Not Things, Tied to Happiness"(Read)